Why We Won’t Take Commission
Firefly Fundraising is a member of the Attorney General of California’s Registry of Charitable Trusts, which explicitly forbids commission work.
To clarify why:
- commission work sets up the wrong incentives, as it drives fundraisers to chase high-dollar, short‐term returns rather than to help clients build long-term funding relationships;
- it results in fundraisers ignoring or doing little work on low-dollar grants, which are often the first step towards later, high‐dollar grants; and
- it sets the wrong metrics for what fundraisers do, as it links success only to funding when, in fact:
- rejected proposals can be part of a long‐term term, successful process;
- working on any grant, including one that is eventually rejected, results in writing and strategy that can be used on other grants successfully;
- consulting on program and organization structure is often the highest value thing we do and is often done outside of any given successful or unsuccessful grant; and
- rejections can be caused by things that are completely outside our purview, including board structure and demographics, organizational financial history, legal issues, etc.
Back to How we charge